How to use Family Explorer
When you log into GabrielSoft it will default to what is called the Family Explorer view. Family Explorer was created so that a user has access to ALL data located in the Families Module.
This help article will help you discover the many ways to search and filter data using:
Using Search Bars
Each column of data contains a search bar and filtering option at the top. These allow you to define the criteria for finding and viewing data.
How to use columns and define search parameters for data
The following parameters can be set for each column of data by clicking on the kebab menu (3 circles) next to the column name.
- Change column position - Move any column to your desired position by clicking and dragging the column name into another spot along the field.
Add/Delete data columns - Open the kebab menu and select “columns” to reveal a list of the data fields available to view and search. There are 60+ fields available to users. By checking and unchecking the boxes it will either add or delete that column of data from your search screen.
- Lock columns - To lock a single or multiple columns into place on your finder, choose “Set Column Position” from the kebab menu of the column you would like to lock in place. All columns will lock to the left side of the grid, and the column titles will be in bold font as shown below.
- Sort by ascending or descending - To sort data within a specific column, choose Sort Ascending or Sort Descending from the kebab menu and a blue arrow will appear either pointing up or down to indicate you have made this selection.
Search for specific data within a column -Type information into the column’s search bar and then click on the filter icon (upside-down triangle). Or, in the kebab menu choose “Filter.” Not all columns have a search bar, as they have predetermined values that you can select from a helpful drop-down menu.
For example, when searching registration dates the options will be: Is Equal To, Is Not Equal To, Is After, Is Before or Equal, etc. When searching Family Name the options will be: Contains, Is Equal To, Is Not Equal To.
Pro Tip: When filtering columns to show specific data, selecting the filter to sort column data that " contains" a certain specification entered will result in more entries rather than using "is equal to," which would only offer data that appears the exact same way the specified information was typed in the filter.
Family Explorer Toolbar
The Family Explorer Tool Bar allows the user to perform some basic functionality within the Family Explorer. Here is a breakdown of each element within the tool bar.
- Download - Download an Excel file of all families and columns defined in your current search screen. The Excel file can be edited and converted to a table.
- Send Message - Send an email to all families defined in your current search screen. By checking the box next to the family name you can choose to send an email to a single family or multiple.
- Layout - Click on the down arrow and select from four layout options.
- Save Layout - Saves your current layout until you delete or set it back to the default layout.
- My Layout - Saves the current layout so that it becomes the current layout for each time you log into your own account. A user has the ability to save a single layout for their own default view.
- Default Layout - This option will bring you back to the Gabriel default layout. The screenshot below shows the columns in the default layout.
- Delete Layout - Will remove a saved layout.
- Advanced - Do advanced filtering, or grouping with defined field specifications for placing specific groups. Find detailed tips below for best using advanced filtering.
- New Family - Add a family to your Gabriel database.
Pro Tip: If you are working in another module within Gabriel you can now add a family by going to Families > New Family.
When selecting the Advanced filter from the Family Explorer toolbar, you’ll be able to define specific terms for pinpointing the exact data you desire. Simply select “Advanced” and then use the filtering toolbar’s three options.
Add Expression - Adding an expression allows you to choose specific criteria that helps to filter your data. Every time you select the Add Expression button, you will be given three fields to set your search criteria:
- Column name (e.g., Family Name, Status, etc.)
- The rule for how data is to be determined (e.g., contains, is equal to, etc.)
- The words or fields within the column that you are searching for (e.g., “Thomas”, “Mary”, etc.).
It is important to remember when determining the rule for how column data is considered, selecting “contains” will offer you more results than selecting “Is equal to.” Selecting "equal to" would only filter results that have the column data exactly as you typed your specification.
For example, if you have the rule set to filter for parishes that equal St. Thomas, you will only get results entered exactly as that. Data entries that would be excluded could contain Parish names entered as Saint Thomas, St. Thomas Aquinas, or St. Thomas More.
Add Grouping - Adding a grouping to your filter specifications gives the option to fine-tune the results of a certain specification even further.
For example, if you are searching for families with the Family Name “Smith” OR “Johnson” and you want the “Johnson” families to only be from a “St. Mary” parish. Your filtration setting would be defined as: Select OR to identify two expressions that Family Name contains “Smith” OR “Johnson”; add a group underneath the “Johnson” specification to identify any Parish that contains “Mary”.